Best Ski Goggles Functions
- Protection against mechanical damage. The ski goggles defend the whole face from accidental strokes and cover the eyes from the ingress of snow or ice crumbs during skiing. When falling on a slope, the goggles will prevent injury from meeting with the edges of the ski/snowboard or icy snow.
- Protection from cold wind and sun in the highlands. If you are going to ride in bright sunny weather, your snowboard goggles should provide a cut-off of at least 95% of the ultraviolet. Even bad weather does not reduce the danger; in the mountains, it is easy to get a retinal burn into snow or fog.
- Correct the image and increase the clarity. Snow and ice in the mountains greatly distort the vision of the relief, especially in the face of unsuccessful lighting. It is difficult to “read” the micro-relief of the slope and see small differences in altitude. Of course, because of this, the rider cannot react quickly to some obstacles in the form of broken sections of the road, as well as snowdrifts and ruts. Therefore, the goggles are obliged to improve the visual perception of the slopes qualitatively.
Types Of Snow Goggles
The snowboard goggles of this type are considered the best option in terms of eliminating visual distortion of the review. This is achieved because their convex shape repeats the sphericity of the human eyeball. In addition to improving the orientation of the skier during descent, the spherical lenses of snowboard masks have the least possible load on the eyesight. The negative moment is only one – the process of their manufacture is quite complex, which imposes a corresponding imprint on the final cost.
A classic option, cheaper in price. The ski goggles for flat light. The glass of skiing goggles of the cylindrical type is bent only in the horizontal plane (unlike the spherical), because of which minor distortions of the image reaching the human eye can be present.
Lenses of snowboard masks that belong to the best anti-fog ski goggles have a special coating of one or more layers that absorb a part of the emerging moisture, and the remainder is evenly distributed over the entire surface. This ability is not just a chip, adding value to the mask, as misting filters are a real problem that can have a negative impact on the quality of outdoor activities in the mountains.
Mirrored Ski goggles
A feature of this type of lens of reflective ski goggles is the presence of a special reflecting light beam coating on the outside. The mirror coating copes well with bright sunlight, eliminates up to 20% of the glare reflected from the snow, increases the clarity of the image (in a clear day) and looks aesthetically attractive. However, in conditions of lack of lighting (with increased cloudiness or in the shade), these properties of the glass, on the contrary, worsen the visual capabilities of the athlete. Therefore, they need to buy the best low light ski goggles, because it is not a model of ski goggles for cloudy days.
Polarized lenses of snowboard masks and ski goggles have about the same properties as mirror ones, but they are more reinforced. Glare can be eliminated from the field of view by up to 99%! Thanks to the enhanced vertical light filter, the sharpness, and contrast of the image are significantly increased, the load on the eyes decreases and the overall optical component of the perception of the environment becomes more real.
The type of these goggles that have the ability to change the level of darkness depending on the surrounding conditions. As a result, the transmittance of light by the filter changes to a level at which comfortable visibility will be provided.
This category can include glasses of ski goggles and lenses of snowboard masks of all previous types if it is possible to change them without having to wear another mask. It also can be magnetic lens ski goggles.
Best Snowboard Goggles Buying Guide – What To Look At?
The choice of snow goggles is reduced to three main points:
- Choose goggle lenses with the correct color and degree of darkening. Here everything depends on your geography of skiing – how sunny or overcast your favorite ski resorts are. Are their slopes sunny in the morning, afternoon or all day? How fast is the weather changing in this region? Your task is to choose the optimal filter, the shade, and darkening of which will combine color rendition, contrast, and depth of perception and prevent eye fatigue in the expected weather conditions.
- Choose a suitable model of the ski goggles. It should lie tight, without any gaps, through which the wind can blow it, fall from the breath or penetrate the snow. It is important that the mask does not press on the cheekbones, and does not interfere with free breathing through the nose. Observe ski goggles ratings.
- Check the combination of snowboard goggles with the helmet. In addition, it is not about style. The loose fit of the helmet and the ski goggles to each other will provide you with a very unpleasant sensation with speed skiing in cold weather. In addition, the optics can easily be broken if it falls, if it does not fit the helmet. Note that the rim of the mask does not rest against the helmet, moving down and outstretched the nose.
The Best Ski Goggles: Final Advice
Snowboard goggles are the most important detail of equipment. The ski goggles protect from cold, snow and injuries, harmful ultraviolet rays and intense sunlight. The goggles (if properly selected) improve visibility when the weather changes and can add chic to your outfit. The top of ski goggles in 2019 is big and full of different variants.
Speaking about the quality ski goggles in our opinion, we prefer Smith Optics I/OX. It is the leader in the list of the best ski goggles 2019. Unlike other all-black ski goggles, Smith Squad, or Anon Women’s WM1, this option is universal, that is why it costs more money. However, this device is worth every dollar spent on it.